Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sunday...Sunday... can't trust that day....

(Ok, ok, the 60's song was really Monday, Monday..... but, I took a little creative writing liberties, like the author of a "Million little pieces".... grin....)

Next weekend I am planning on spending the entire weekend at Sycuan at the San Diego Super Bowl of poker. Today is Sunday and we stayed in bed until about 1:00 p.m. catching up on watching four episodes of 24 that we recorded on our DVR from our cable service.

I cannot tolerate watching TV live anymore and having to wait through commercials or not take a break, while we pause the show. We now have his and her Digital Video Recorders. The one in the living room is filled with poker shows and the one in our bedroom is filled with programs Caren prefers. I have just successfully negotiated for a little space on hers to record 1 or 2 poker shows that I can watch on weekend nights when she falls asleep before me.

Because our weekday schedule is so different it works out that I return from late night poker on weekdays between midnight & 1 a.m. Caren gets up at about 5 A.M. so I usually watch a poker show and play a little on-line until 3 A.M. out in the living room before retiring for the night.

Sundays use to be a “special” day in my life when I was a pastor. I would prepare for the big day by going down to the church to pray by myself on Saturday night. Then I would get up early Sunday morning and have breakfast out by myself to “focus” and prepare for my sermon. In the afternoon a nap would prepare me for Sunday evening church. Then Monday’s I would be depressed all day. I did that for about 9 years after I graduated from seminary and before I figured out I really didn’t want to do this for a living.

Faith and the message of Jesus is still very important to me but I cannot tolerate church attendance anymore then I can watching T.V. There actually are similar reasons. They both tend to be fairly mindless broadcast spectator type events with commercials. There is a lot of poor acting going on with plots that have little to do with my everyday life. You can not pause the show and take a break. And I am usually depressed after spending a few hours in either activity.

I do have a friend named Gary who has radically altered his “way of doing church”. I have been watching him for the past few years and it intrigues me, but I am not yet ready for what he does. I will share a little more about that in blogs to come. In case you are interested his website is www.thirddaychurches.com

I will take a break right here and come back later and add to this blog…….

Take a break…. Have some fun….. grin…..

I'm back.... actually no "virtual time" occurred for you, but in "real time", we went to Mission Valley, ate Italian food at Fillipi's Grotto & went to the book store to see if there were any new poker books out. I have read over 30 poker books. I have only purchased three, "Supersystem," Hold-em for Advanced Players by Sklansky & Part II of Playing Tournaments.

All the rest I have read in my local Borders Bookstore. I am a fast reader which really helps and they have tables where you can read and have a cup of coffee.

I live in a small condo so we only use portable computers. I have two open on my kitchen table. On of them I am writing this and with the other I am playing on Party Poker. My screenname is "dave1078" (say hi sometime if you are on party poker) I am having a rush. I had $87 left in my account and I just started on a 2/4 table. I have won 6 of the last 9 hands and now have $200 on the table. Poker is really fun and exciting in the middle of a "rush". Psychological studies support the theory that intermittent reinforcement is the strongest kind of reinforcement to continue the behavior. That's why even though us poker players can lose a lot of hands, the ones that we win keep us coming back again and again. (grin)

P.S. I just won two more and am up over $320... lol....

No comments: