Monday, September 11, 2006

Rocky Mountain High...Part 2

Well, we did push on to the four corners monument. This is the only place in the USA where four states come together. This turned out to be as exciting, as when we saw the world’s largest ball of string in Darwin, Minnesota

We arrived an hour after it closed for the evening. Good thing. . We were met by a locked gate and a sign that said it closed an hour earlier. It would have been very frustrating for me, if we had arrived on time. The signs make it look like it is an actual national park. However, it is owned by an Indian tribe who charges $3.00 per person, and then tries to sell you tables full of Indian Trinkets. (B.T.W. one of the useless facts in my head that I read somewhere, indicates that when someone actually did a GPS on this site it was not totally accurate)

We were able to squeeze through the locked gate, and hike about a ½ mile to the “possibly, misplaced” monument.

Caren, the dog Pokey, and I had a lovely walk under a rising, full moon to the monument and were able to plant one of Pokey’s paws in each state. How many people can say their dog was in four states at once?

We continued on to Cortez, where we spent the night. It was cold in the RV that night. What a pleasant change from Laughlin.

Caren went shopping at Wal-Mart while I worked on the previous blog entry. We filled up the propane tank, and headed north up State Route 145. What a majestic route. We followed a beautiful river the entire way and the scenery was magnificent. We took a walk up by Lizard Head Pass at 10,322 ft above sea level. Just a short walk, and we were winded. We took out the lawn chairs and ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich while we stared at the “Alpine covered mountains” rising to over 14,000 feet above us.

Later that afternoon, we stopped in Ridgeway, a beautiful little town, with a clean alpine village look. We walked in a city park and Caren shopped in a thrift store while I took a ½ hour nap.

Then it was on to Gunnison, Colorado where we are spending the night in Blue Mesa Recreational Ranch. Good time to have hook-ups, empty the poop tank, fill the water tank and have Internet Access for the night.

Back in 2002, when we traveled around the country in our RV, I had to drag my laptop to the clubhouse and plug-in to a phone-jack and use dial-up.

Tonight, I am sitting in the comfort of my RV on High Speed Wireless. (It did cost an extra $4 for a 24 hour period of access from Tengo Internet Wireless) But, “the times they are a changing”. I noticed one of the RV’s had a sign that stated he was a dealer for a Satellite Internet, company (I forgot which one)and he could have you installed and going in 1 hour or less, so you could Internet in your RV, anytime, you wanted, anywhere in the U.S.

So after checking email, posting updates to my blog, and making dinner, I am ready to crawl in the sleeping bag and enjoy the rest of my night in a prone position.

I almost logged onto Party Poker, but it just didn’t seem right when I can enjoy this great outdoors.

No comments: