Thursday, November 13, 2008

Leaving and breaking hearts...

Caren and I flew back to San Diego for a final week to pack up the house. I had flown before with CoCo who is being trained as a therapy dog. I had no problems boarding and flying with her. This time I was hassled by a baggage checker and then onboard after we were seated and getting ready for the door to be shut for takeoff.

Finally, we took off and arrived in San Diego an hour and a half later.

Leaving San Diego is hard, but we are looking forward to being close to our children.

We are growing to appreciate all that Sacramento has to offer. I didn't know until we arrived there it is nicknamed "City of the Trees". Fall is certainly a beautiful time in Sacramento with all the leaves turning many shades of fall colors.






One of the things I appreciate about Sacramento is we are only an hour drive away from many great camping spots to enjoy in our RV.



Finally, it was time to leave San Diego for good. We packed up a u-haul truck. We had planned on towing Caren's car, but at the last moment I decided to make one more trip back and drive her car up on another trip. I will tell you why later, but it had some financial benefit for us to do it that way.

After 10 hours of driving we were less then an hour from our destination, when we got a phone call that my best friend Gary had a heart attack! We had just hugged him goodbye, when we drove away from San Diego a few hours ago in the rental truck!
We almost turned around and drove the entire way back, but Janie his wife assurred us we was fine, resting comfortably in the hospital and would be ok.
It turns out he got out two days later, it was his second heart attack and he has suffered no permanent damage to his heart. I flew down a few days later to see him, and bring Caren's car up, and he picked me up at the airport!
When I saw Janie that night she said humorously... your leaving San Diego broke Gary's heart! It was good to be able to laugh with them.













No comments: