Friday, September 29, 2006

Another Wal-Mart, perchance to sleep or dream...

We awoke for the last time in Salem ready to get going to Portland to visit with Caren’s sister, Nancy. Nancy doesn’t get off work until 6:30 p.m. and Portland is less then an hour drive from Salem, so we set off to do a little thrift store shopping before we left Salem.

Caren is in the process of losing weight on the Weight Watcher’s program. So, a new size, demands new clothes, that fit better, each week. However, the new clothes are only transitional as she progresses downward. She has learned to glean a new outfit or two at the thrift stores like Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Deseret Industries etc. She is a very smart lady. She had found clothes that still have the original Macy’s or other department store label on them listing the original purchase prices of $120-180. Some of these items have never been worn. However, because these are in thrift stores they will be in bins marked 99 cents to $8.00

She get so excited about her “finds” and I love her “beating the system”, so we both enjoy her browsing these stores when we have time. While she does that I cruise the neighborhood close by with my computer on searching for Wireless Internet Access. I usually “jump on”, the Internet while she is shopping. I have never failed to find an open wireless Internet access anywhere I go. I guess the neighbors sometimes wonder why a motor home from California is parked in their little residential neighborhood? But, I imagine they would be shocked to know I am on their computer network doing work or answering email.

I have taught computer security and networks at San Diego City College and teach how important it is to not have an open access wireless computer network in your home or business. But, still about 80% of them out there are open with no security in place. If I was a person who wanted to go through their personal information on their computers it would be a simple matter for me to do it. However, I have never done anything on another person’s computer network, except utilize it to get to the Internet.

Portland was sunny and almost 90 degrees today. It was actually too warm for me. By the time I leave this area I should probably have some rain and bad weather. However, so far, this entire three week trip has been blue skies and warm weather everywhere we have been. We did have one exception in Yellowstone Park where it dropped below freezing one evening.

We arrived at Nancy’s about 7 p.m. and all headed out to have dinner at Appleby’s. This Appleby’s just happens to be right next door to the Wal-Mart on 82 Street in Portland where we planned on spending the night. So after a lovely dinner with them, we turned in for the night to read and sleep, perchance to dream at another Wal-Mart.

No comments: