Sunday, September 24, 2006

More road trip

We awoke in the RV in West Yellowstone, Montana and it was cold!!! (26 degrees above Zero to be exact.) We stayed under the covers until the Sun came out and began to warm the RV a little. I got up and walked to the campground showers and ran it as hot as I could stand it. Finally, I felt warm and I raced back to the RV before I froze up. (grin)

We stayed in the RV park utilizing the Wireless Internet Connectivity until about noon. I read a lot of poker blogs. I played Party Poker with a net loss of about $11 in N/L

Finally, we started west on US 20 enjoying the “Yellowstone Park type scenery all the way down to Idaho Falls.

We were under impressed with Idaho Falls. We thought about eating out there after a couple of days in the woods. However, the town looked poor and dirty. We filled up on gas and drove west out of town. A few miles down the road we stopped and ate lunch in the RV.

Our destination for the day is Mountain Home, Idaho about 40 miles east of Boise. We have driven over 1500 miles so far on US 20 through Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, and now Idaho and we have not yet been on an Interstate. I love to travel this way. The experience of driving through towns and country side is so much more enjoyable then having 18 wheelers roar by at 75 miles an hour with sleep deprived drivers.

Tomorrow, we will be the only day we have to drive 40 miles on the Interstate between Mountain Home and Boise because there is no other real choice.

Here are three interesting road trip observations we made today. When we drove through Rigby we saw a sign that stated Television was created here. I want to research that the next time I get Internet connectivity. We also passed by the “Craters of the Moon” National Reserve. The “Craters of the Moon” is the most unusual landscape I have ever seen. It resembles a freshly plowed field of black volcanic rock. It is very stark, very dark, and very different from the rest of Idaho.

The third interesting and slightly disgusting roadside attraction was when I stopped for a cup of coffee at the Corral CafĂ© in Fairfield which boasts it is the “original home of the road kill Patty Melt.” I only had the coffee.

While driving between Fairfield and Mountain Home I listened to three poker podcasts I had downloaded last night onto my ipod from pocketfives.com. They were very enjoyable.

Tomorrow, I am hoping to find a poker room in Boise. Otherwise, the next night I am planning on playing in Bend, Oregon where I know there is a poker room.

No comments: